[SK 3687 7286] Chapel [G.T.] (1)
The Roman Catholic Chapel at Newbold has a doorway with an almost completely defaced Norman tympanum. "It was granted by James II for Roman Catholic worship and sacked by a Protestant mob in 1688. The pediment-like gable with its pinnacles may be part of the restoration after that event." (2)
The chapel at Newbold is a plain building with an inside area of 36ft by 15ft. The east and west windows, as well as two on the south, are square-headed Perpendicular ones of two lights each; the north wall is unpierced. The main doorway and roof are of the same period. The roof is supported by five tie-beams. The centre bosses are well carved and in good condition. The most interesting feature of the chapel is the priest's doorway on the south side. It is very small, only 5ft 3ins high and 2 ft broad. The top is formed of a semicircular tympanum ornamented with flowing foliage, much defaced. Several of the jamb stones also show traces of the original sculpture, a kind of horseshoe moulding. Many of the stones in the wall show, both in the interior and the exterior, that they have formerly been used in an early Norman edifice - one stone especially had clearly once formed the head of a small single-light Norman window. The interior is now [in 1875] utterly desolate, the windows being not even glazed. Its only furniture is a modern wooden altar and raised dais at the east end. The Catholic branch of the Eyre family still retain possession and occasionally use it as a burial place. The chapel was nearly demolished and all the monuments destroyed in the reign of William III. After the sacking of the chapel, the building was used as a cowhouse and barn until recently, when it was cleared, but not otherwise restored, by the representatives of the Eyres. The Rev. Hunter visited it in 1843 and said 'I went to the chapel of Newbold and found it standing without any inclosure in a field, and filled with husbandry utensils'. (3)
After the Revolution of 1688 an outbreak against Catholics led to the chapel being nearly demolished and all its monuments destroyed. The Chapel fell into disuse and for some time was used as a cowshed and barn until cleared. (4)
The building, in good condition [in 1960], is a family tomb of the Eyres and a Roman Catholic chapel-of-ease in regular use for weekly worship. It has no known dedication. See GP. AO/60/32/4 - Chapel from the south. (5)
Roman Catholic Eyre Chapel, Newbold, is a small rectangular building of coursed stone rubble with stone slate roof. Grade 2*. Small Roman Catholic chapel granted by James II. It was sacked by a Protestant mob in 1688. The doorway has an almost completely defaced Norman tympanum. The windows are perpendicular, with no windows on the north side. The roof has bosses on the tie beams. The pediment- like gable with its pinnacles may be part of the restoration after the sack of 1688. It was the family tomb of the Eyres and a chapel-of- ease and used for weekly worship. It has been disused and neglected since 1974. No known dedication. (6)
Medieval and later - small rectangular chapel. Coursed stone rubble with stone slate roof. Plain pinnacles on all four corners. Crocheted pinnacle on west gable. No openings on north side. Two doors on south side, one with Tudor arch and the other (priest's door) with low relief Norman carving in tympanum and jambs bearing traces of moulding. 2 2-light Perpendicular flat-headed windows with cusped light to south; similar windows to east and west. Raised stone altar at east end. Five timber tie-beams, three with 15th Century carved bosses. Former chapel of the Eyre family. Granted by James II for Roman Catholic worship and sacked by protestant mob in 1688. Large stone cross in burial ground surrounding the chapel commemorates its restoration in 1887 and the re-internment in the Crypt beneath the stone flagged floor of 12 members of Eyre family. Stone horse mounting block built into north east corner of building. Restored completely in 1989 for communal use. (8)
The Roman Catholic Chapel at Newbold is 36 feet by 18 feet and was sacked by a Protestant mob in 1688. It has Norman origins though much work has been defaced. (9)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Amendment, July 17 1989.
Article in serial: Derbyshire Life and Countryside. 1962. 'Country Churches, a Derbyshire symposium', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. June/July.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3687 7286 (14m by 8m) (Centre)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 27 2015 11:45AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.