No. 2 St Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, originally a late 15th century building significantly modified in the 17th century.
'No. 2, St Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, is a two-storey, early 17th century building with a white façade rendered with roughcast. To the rear is a wide segmental arch with pilasters. The two-storey cross wing to the east is angled along the street line of Station Back Lane. The interior has some panelled rooms - one of early 17th century date and another of the late 17th or 18th century, with bolection moulding. The centre first floor room has a late 16th/early 17th century ornamental plaster ceiling. Grade 2* for interior.' (1-2)
The earliest phase in the development of this building for which there is evidence is a timber-framed structure, probably dating to the late 15th or early 16th century. Now incorporated in the present street range, it was a jettied structure of two storeys in height and at least three bays in length. The rear range, also timber-framed, is of two storeys in height and two and a half bays I length. The date of the wing was not ascertained. The property was a tenement of the Dean of Lincoln from the early 14th century until 1496, at which time it was described as 'waste', suggesting any buildings were derelict. The present building may have been erected shortly afterwards. In the first half of the 17th century the building was altered substantially, including the partial encasing of the frame in stone. A pencil sketch of the building made in 1849 shows the street front looking much as it does today. (3)
A plaque by the Chesterfield Civic Society on the front of the building states 'Late 15th century building, Heathcote family house 17th century.'
Current Google imagery (Streetview) shows the building in use as a pub.
From the National Heritage List for England:
'ST MARY'S GATE 1. 5169 (East Side) -------------- No 2 SK 3871 SE 3/1A 13.3.68.
2. Early C17. Facade rendered with roughcast painted white. 2 storeys. 2 windows, 3 light sashes, the outer lights with glazing bars, moulded frames and cornices to ground floor windows. Door dated 1898 in moulded architrave with wide Tudor arch, panel above with plaster decoration of fruit and leaves, scrolls flank panel. Broken pediment above. Rear wide segmental arch with pilasters, later door inset in arch. Eastern 2 storey cross wing angled along street line of Station Back Lane. Stone slab roof. Off centre and end chimneys. 2 storeys, 2 windows placed irregularly - generally sashes with late C19 glazing. Interior has some panelled rooms, 1 of early C17 in the east wing and 1 of late C17/early C18, to north of entrance, with bolection moulding. Centre 1st floor room as late C16/early C17 ornamental plaster ceiling. Entrance hall with egg and dart moulding to frieze. Late C17/early C18 staircase with continuous string, hand rail and turned balusters, alternate ones twisted. Butt purlin roof with some straight and arched braces, collars and traces of framed partitions. II* for interior.
Listing NGR: SK3856071205.'