Listed Building record MDR5366 - Nos. 69-79 Saltergate, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- TERRACE (Georgian - 1770 AD to 1800 AD)
Nos. 69-79 Saltergate, Chesterfield, a late 18th century building. 'Nos 69-79 Saltergate. A monumental red brick terrace block of three storeys and late 18th century date, with symmetrical façade. A small, later shop front has been inserted near the centre on the ground floor. Grade II*.' (1) At the east end of Saltergate, Saltergate Terrace (Nos. 69-79) is like No 23 West Bars, of c1830 but still Georgian. Built in brick with doorways with recessed Roman Doric columns and a four-bay pediment. (2-3) From the National Heritage List for England: '1. 5169 SK 3871 SW 1/21 15.7.71 SALTERGATE (North Side) Nos 69 to 79 (odd) including Pagets Insurances Limited (This latter part formerly listed as Cavendish Stamp Shop) and area railings. II* GV 2. Late C18. Monumental terrace block with symmetrical facade. Red brick with stone sill bands and moulded stone eaves cornice. 3 storeys. 12 windows, the centre 4 advanced under pediment which has oval plaque in tympanum. Sashes, ground floor with glazing bars. Round arched doors with recessed fluted roman doric columns, entablature and ornamental fanlights. Small later shop front inserted near centre ground floor. Iron area railings. Listing NGR: SK3817371327.' (4)
- <1> SDR5133 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Borough of Chesterfield Derby Sept 1977 68..
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 147.
- <3> SDR11526 Index: NDAT. 3790. 3790.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1088238.
|Grid reference||SK 38173 71327 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 2 2021 11:42AM