Monument record MDR5382 - Coal pit and possible clay pit, Sheffield Road, Whittington
Type and Period (1)
- MINE SHAFT (Victorian to Edwardian - 1900 AD to 1910 AD)
- None recorded
A clay pit used to provide material for the nearby pottery manufactory (SMR 3914). A gravity operated tramway brought the clay to the kilns. 19th century. (1) Nothing is shown on the 1st and 2nd ed. OS maps at this site. However on the early 20th century 3rd edition a cluster of Old Coal Shafts are named, joined to the pottery by two straight parallel field boundaries, possibly indicating the line of a short-lived tramway connection. (2, 3, 4)
- <1> SDR10910 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0699. 0699.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 380 731 (52m by 34m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 27 2017 3:05PM