Former Chesterfield Grammar School, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, built in 1846.
Chesterfield Grammar School was re-established in 1843 and a new school built 1846, replacing that of 1710 [see SMR 3926]. It was often called St. Helen's School or Chapel School rather than the Grammar School. The present 19th century buildings are known as Chesterfield School with no evidence of earlier structures. A plaque commemorated the Chapel site. (1)
Chesterfield Grammar School, originally housed in a building of 1710, was closed in 1832. In 1843 a new scheme was drawn up for the government of the School and two years later it was rebuilt at a cost of rather more than £2000, the town Council having been told in 1843 that it was 'likely to tumble down altogether very soon'. The new school was described in 1846 as a 'handsome stone structure'. The reputation of the School improved so that by the 1860s it had almost 100 pupils. (2)
The former Grammar School for Boys on Sheffield Road is now in use as an annexe of the Chesterfield College of Art and Design . It was built in 1846 by Patterson and Hine, in a gloomy rock-faced Tudor style. (3)
Map evidence appears to suggest that the mid-19th century Chesterfield Grammar School was rebuilt immediately to the north of the earlier 'Chapel School' [SMR 3926]. (4)
A grade II listed former school built in 1846 with later 19th century additions. It was formerly Chesterfield Grammar School. It is built of coursed stone with quoins and a moulded band at first floor level. It has a fishscale and plain tile banded roof. It has coped gables with kneelers, some with finials. The roofs have crestings and stone chimneys. The northern part is the oldest, and is triple-gabled and of three storeys. Famous pupils to the school include, in early 18th century, Thomas Secker, later Archbishop of Canterbury, and later, Erasmus Darwin, Grandfather of Charles Darwin. (5)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SHEFFIELD ROAD 1. 5169 (East Side) Western building to Chesterfield College of Art and Technology SK 3871 NW 5/171
2. 1846 with later C19 additions. Formerly Chesterfield Grammar School. A school in Chesterfield first recorded in the C13. Letters patent from Elizabeth I in 1598 speak of the Chapel of St Helen's being converted to a schoolroom (site to east of present building). School rebuilt 1709 and again in 1846. Coursed stone with quoins and moulded band at 1st floor. Fishscale and plain tile banded roof. Coped gables with kneelers, some with finials. Roofs with cresting and stone chimneys. Northern part triple gabled and of 3 storeys is oldest part. 3 windows with stone mullions, tground floor with transoms also. Centre door. Adjoining centre section advanced. 2 gables with tower in angle between these. 2 storeys. Gothic arched doorway below tower, shield and date above. Southern recessed part, centre gable 2 storeys, 3 windows. Famous pupils include, in early C18, Thomas Secker later Archbishop of Canterbury and later, Erasmus Darwin, Grandfather of Charles Darwin. VCH Vol II p 223.
Listing NGR: SK3834971674.'