Listed Building record MDR5392 - No. 191 Old Road, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- CRUCK HOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
No. 191 Old Road, Chesterfield, a probable medieval cruck frame building. A building at 191 Old Road, Brampton has an internal cruck frame with collar and spurs and outer blades. (1-2) (Please note these sources give an incorrect grid reference for No. 191 Old Road). A house on Little Common has one set of crucks remaining, there having been four more originally. It was enlarged about 1964. During the stripping of plaster, two round holes were found in one cruck, filled with plaster. In each case, this sealed ox hairs and the eyeball of an ox. (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 37 SE 13/236 Brampton Old Road (North Side) Number 191 II Probably medieval with later alterations. Cruck framed, one truss remains in situ. Coursed stone with red brick window dressings and eaves courses. Stone slate roof with end chimneys (originally had off centre chimney as well). 1 storey with 5 windows modern glazing in former window spaces. Substantial full height crucks. rest on stylobates. Exposed braces crossed and jointed on rear of blades. Ceiled over below collar ridge piece rest between blades (which are not jointed) single purlin arid curved windbraces. Carpenters mark II survives. Northern blade had 2 ox eyes concealed by a mixture of plaster and hair in deep round holes, on south and the other on the east face of block. Listing NGR: SK3581271171.' (4)
- <1> SDR8885 Article in serial: Marston, F. 1967. 'Cruck frames of Derbyshire; an interim report', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 87, pp 117-122.
- <2> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0719, 3745.
- <3> SDR3540 Bibliographic reference: Bunker, B. 1970. Cruck Buildings: An Opinion as to their Origin and Dating. LS 728.6. pp 18-19.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1031911.
|Grid reference||SK 35812 71171 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2021 5:45PM