Skip to main content

Monument record MDR5399 - Lordsmill, Chapel on the Bridge

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Unknown - 1446 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 3870 Lordsmill, Chapel on the Bridge. Site of Lordsmill Chapel. Licence granted from the Patent Roll of 25 Henry VI for the erection of the chapel. It was founded by Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury on 8 July 1446 in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed and Glorious Virgin Mary. The chapel stood by the bridge rather than on it. The building was on the south bank with its north wall parallel to the watercourse. The entrance was from Lordsmill St. In 1777, the north wall was still standing. (1-3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Index: NDAT 3067.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Kerry, C. 1892. 'Hermits, fords and bridge-chapels', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 14, pp 54-71.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire.



Grid reference SK 38693 70610 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 8 2017 4:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.