Ford Wheel in 1796 was owned by Joseph Hutton and tenanted by Thomas Slagg. It had the advantage over other wheels on the River Moss in being readily accessible by road. The pond was later enlarged, possibly in association with the building of a wood-turning shop, and at some point the wheel was converted to steam power. Today only the head race and the pond survive. The pond lies parallel to the main course of the Moss and to the north of it. The head goit separates from the main stream further west and is additionally fed by a tributary stream running in from the north, although there is an overflow at this point that would have been used if the additional water was not required. (1)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. p 70.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 40325 80381 (point)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 18 2011 4:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.