The farmhouse at Hazelbarrow Farm was built in 1820 on the site of the old hall. (1)
The Hazlebarrow estate is known to have been in existence by 1290, and there is reference to a house ('the capital messuage or chief mansion house called Hasylbarowe Hall') in 1580 when it, and other property, was apparently sold to Margaret Frechvillee. The Frechvilles probably built a new hall, as a watercolour shows an Elizabethan or early Jacobean building. The Frechvilles sold the estate on to the Moorwoods of Alfreton in 1635. A survey was made at that time, which refers to a bowling alley, a mill and a conyger or rabbit warren ('The house Barnes stables milne Garden Bowlingalley with the Cuningrey head and the decayed springe …). The hall stood until about 1810 when it was demolished and the present building erected. A stone gateway and part of a buttressed garden wall still survive [in 1909]. (2)
Article in serial: Addy, S. 1909. 'Haselbarrow Hall and its owners', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 31, pp 1-23.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 368 813 (131m by 85m) (Centre)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2015 3:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.