A concentration of worked flints of Mesolithic type, some sherds of Iron Age pottery, and part of a leaf-shaped Neolithic arrow-head, have been found in Melbourne parish at SK 408264. They were all surface finds. The site is on level ground at the top of a steep slope, rising about 150 ft from the river which is about 1/4 mile distant. The assemblege is similar to the geometric group of the Southern Pennines, considered by Clark to have affinities with the French Sauveterian. (1)
The site is a low hill summit at 150 ft OD, south of the River Trent. The Mesolithic flint industry was first discovered after the field had been ploughed in 1959 and further collecting followed. The site had been contaminated by later occupation, as a leaf-shaped arrowhead, some pressured flaked flint scrapers and sherds of Iron Age pottery were also picked up on this hill. Flint, of beach pebble origin, was the sole raw material used on the site. A number of unworked pebbles were also collected with the flint waste and implements. (3)
The field is partly under plough and partly under stubble. There is a heavy scatter of modern brick, tile and potsherds emanating from the farm buildings of Newton's Corner. One rim sherd of Iron Age type was found at SK 4083 2637, nothing else of significance was seen. The field occupies the northern half of the flat topped summit of a prominent hill. (4)
Authy 4 correct. (5)
Iron Age pottery from this site is listed by Challis and Harding under 'Undecorated Pottery of Middle La Tene Type'. (6)
SK 408 264: Castle Pit Hill listed as a Mesolithic settlement (7), and finds listed by Wymer (8). (7-8)
SK 406 263. Mesolithic flint implements were found by Mr Usher in the Castle Hill area. A Neolithic polished stone axe was also found. It is a Group VI axe made of Greenstone from the Great Langdale. (9)
The Mesolithic assemblage contains both Earlier and Later components. There is one Obliquely blunted point with opposed retouch at the tip which is actually illustrated in Manby's 1963 paper (fig.4, 4) and this is made from white, opaque wolds flint and is described as a 'batterback' point. The majority of the material is probably Later Mesolithic. (10)
Bibliographic reference: Corr 6" and letter (James Lomas of Donington Hall, 18 June 1959).
Article in serial: Lomas, J. 1959. 'A Mesolithic site in South Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 79, pp 119-122 illus.
Article in serial: Manby, T. 1963. 'Some Mesolithic Sites in the Peak District and Trent Basin', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 10-23.
Bibliographic reference: F1 WW 08-FEB-60.
Personal Observation: F2 BHS 11-JUL-66.
Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p. 39.
Monograph: Green, H. S.. 1980. BAR 75 pt 2 Flint Arrowheads. p. 435.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 408 264 (100m by 100m) (Centre)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2016 12:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.