Monument record MDR5434 - Castle Pit Hill, west of Ramsley Wood, Melbourne
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Castle Pit Hill' appears on the 2nd edition 25" OS map. (1) 'Ie Castyll Hull' is mentioned in Duchy of Lancaster documents in 1522. (2) 'Castle Hill' appears in an unpublished deed in 1673. (3) This has no obvious connection with Melbourne Castle (see SMR 23204) and perhaps refers to some lost earthworks. (4) Old quarry - traditional source of stone for Melbourne Castle. (5) Ploughed out. (6-7) Field name of Castle Pit, but no sign of stone working. Possible reference to a dew pond? (8)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR5613 Bibliographic reference: Duchy of Lancaster documents, Public Record Office.
- <3> SDR15887 Bibliographic reference: Unpublished Deed..
- <4> SDR5962 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 642.
- <5> SDR9162 Bibliographic reference: Mr. J. G. Shields, owner, Donington Park..
- <6> SDR6489 Bibliographic reference: F1 WW 08-FEB-60.
- <7> SDR6533 Personal Observation: F2 BHS 11-JUL-66.
- <8> SDR10070 Index: NDAT. 2455. 2455. T&PAT.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4048 2642 (63m by 45m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2015 2:56PM