Monument record MDR5451 - Boyah Grange, Potato Pit Lane, Dale Abbey

Type and Period (4)

  • (Medieval to Tudor - 1250 AD? to 1538 AD)
  • ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1180 AD? to 1250 AD?)
  • (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

"In chap. X. 4 of the Chronicle [of Thomas de Musca] we read that William, son of Serlo de Grendon, retained for himself in his lordship the serfs and the mansion of Boyhawe, which was situate in a field called 'Boyhawe Meadow'. 'Boyhawe Grange' (now called 'Boya') lies to the south-east of the Hermitage and about one mile from the church. It consists of a brick house of the last century [ie the 18th century], with modern farm buildings close by. The house is surrounded by a well defined quadrangular depression, indicative of an ancient moat, part of which still serves for a pond, and part for an osier bed. Within this moat was the house of 'Radulph'…." (1) According to the Rev Charles Kerry (1) the house of Ralf f. Geremund occupied the site but there is no evidence to support this statement. In about 1180 there was a mansion here but this had evidently disappeared by the middle of the 13th century, when de Muskham was writing his Chronicle. The large quadrangular depression which is still visible round the present building may well have been the moat of the Grendon mansion; today [in 1939] it is nearly all dry, but two portions still survive as ponds. The short-lived manor house had therefore disappeared by c. 1250, but later in the 13th century there was a monastic grange attached to Dale on the site which is referred to in a deed conferring land on the abbey. It is not mentioned again until the dissolution in 1538. Boyah Grange was apparently amongst the property acquired by Francis Pole of Radbourne. It is now a farm, with some pleasant buildings in 18th century brick. (2) There is a pond at SK 44403806 and a swampy area 50m to the north; neither can be surveyed as extant remains. (4)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Article in serial: Kerry, C. 1883-4. 'Depedale, and the Chronicle of Thomas de Musca, canon of Dale Abbey', The Reliquary. Volume 24, pp 133-144. pp 136-7.
  • <2> Article in serial: Colvin, H. 1939. 'Dale Abbey - granges, mills and other buildings', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, pp 142-155.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 01-DEC-66.



Grid reference Centred SK 4436 3807 (118m by 95m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR707

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 20 2013 3:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.