Building record MDR5455 - All Saints Church, Dale Abbey
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
The church at Dale Abbey is dedicated to All Saints. Under the same roof, and forming part of the same building, is a dwelling house called Church House (SMR 18727). This house was rebuilt a few years ago (written in 1895). There is an upper chamber that extends over the whole area except the chancel, and serves the purpose of a gallery. From the gallery there was formerly a door that led to the old house, which is thought to have been used as an inn for some time. Two framework screens, from which the panels have long been removed, standing at right-angles to each other, divide the aisle and chancel from the nave. The internal appearance of the church is quite eccentric, with an odd collection of pews and benches, and a rickety old oak pulpit. The origin of the church is uncertain, but there is evidence to suggest that it was the chapel erected by the 'Gomme of the Dale', and which probably adjoined the oratory built by the 'Hermit of the Depedale'. It appears to have traces of Early English work, and a few fragments of 15th century stained glass remain in the windows. The incised sepulchral slab bears the date 1532. (3) 'All Saints', the present church of the village of Dale Abbey, is in no provable way connected with the Abbey (SMR 18713). Its size is 26 by 25 ft and it is under the same roof with a dwelling house …. The masonry of the nave is Norman (perhaps the Chapel of Depedale, mentioned in late 12th century), the aisle was added soon after. Most of the details are Perpendicular, especially the addition of the upper story with its open timber roof'. (4) The church was in use as a place of worship in 1966. (6) All Saint's Church. Some Norman masonry, also wall paintings and a pulpit of 1634. (8) A grade I listed parish church and attached farmhouse dating to the late 12th, 14th, 15th centuries, 1634 and the mid-19th century. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, and has a red brick with pseudo-timber framed upper parts. It has plain tile roofs, with a coped gable to the east. The building is of one and two storeys. The church is to the east, and comprises nave, chancel and south aisle. The south elevation has a two-storey gabled bay to the right, with brick to the first floor and a rendered gable. There is a small wooden bellcote above. The ground floor has a plainly-chamfered round-arched doorway with a studded plank door. The pseudo-timber framed jettied upper floor has one two-light gabled half dormer. The east elevation has a gabled bay to the right, with a three-light shallowly-pointed 14th century window with cusped ogee tracery. The south side has an external staircase leading to the upper gallery. Inside, the nave and aisle are entirely covered by an upper floor or gallery. The ceiling has finely moulded beams. There is a stud partition between the nave and aisle, with a moulded upright, and also a stud partition to the east, in the form of a screen with three-lights either side of the entrance through to the chancel. There are box pews in the chancel and aisle, and rough open seated pews in the nave and south aisle that possibly date to the 17th century. There is a 17th century pulpit, reading desk and clerk's pew, which are uniquely placed behind the altar. Late 13th century wall paintings are found on the north wall, depicting the Annunciation, Visitation and Nativity. They were restored in 1931. On the south wall is an illegible painted text. There is a 15th century octagonal stone font with shields and carved figures in high relief around the bowl. It has a solid base, cut away at the angles and with colonnettes. A badly worn incised tomb slab leans against the west wall. There are fragments of medieval stained glass in the tracery lights of the north window. The gallery has timber framed walls and 19th century tiered pews. The church has a chamfered beamed ceiling. The history of the chapel is uncertain, but it may have been the infirmary and infirmary chapel of the Abbey (SMR 18713). (9) All Saints Church at Dale Abbey is a tiny chapel dating to the 12th century. It may have been the infirmary chapel for the Abbey of St Mary (SMR 18713). It is attached to a domestic dwelling (SMR 18727), which was originally the Abbey infirmary, and later a village inn (during which time the bar was used as a vestry). The building is of Norman origin but was altered in 1480. The furnishings are 17th century in date. The house was rebuilt in 1883. (10) The bell of All Saint Church is of historical significance, founded by E Arnold in 1798, it is a late example of the founder's work. (11)
- <1> SDR4445 Bibliographic reference: Ward, J. 1890. Dale and its Abbey. pp 77-86, plan, illus. pp 77-86.
- <2> SDR8020 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1891. 'Dale Church: its structural pecularities', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 13. pp 174-89.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 517.
- <4> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 108.
- <5> SDR4204 Article in serial: Christian, R (Country Life). 1959. 'Oasis in the industrial midlands', Country Life. AUG 13, PP 24-25.
- <6> SDR6141 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 30-NOV-66.
- <7> SDR5186 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of Erewash Derby 6 Nov 1986 21.
- <8> SDR15648 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2521. 2521.
- <9> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352230.
- <10> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 66.
- <11> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4373 3858 (11m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2015 8:38AM