Monument record MDR5469 - Arbour Hill Sand Quarry, Dale Abbey

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Second World War - 1885 AD to 1940 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 434387 Arbour Hill, Sand Quarry. The site of abandoned sand quarries of the Stanton Ironworks Company, now mainly woodland. When in operation they were connected by a narrow gauge tramway feeding into the railway system connecting the Dale Collieries with the ironworks. Quarrying took place from c. 1885 until the 1940s. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 7.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 433 389 (245m by 252m) (Centre)
Civil Parish DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 19 2011 10:02AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.