SK 439 392 No. 2 Colliery Site. The remains of the Stanton Ironworks Company's Dale Abbey No 2 Colliery is indicated by a generally disturbed area in the woods. The sand tramway (SMR 18707) at first terminated alongside a structure still marked by three large stone blocks that appear to have been machinery bedstones, the colliery having its own separate tramway system to the interchange with the standard gauge line midway between Collieries 1 & 2. (1)
The OS map of 1900 shows several colliery buildings, a shaft and two clay pits. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p. 8.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.8, 1900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 439 392 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2015 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.