Skip to main content

Monument record MDR5479 - Locko Park, Dale Abbey

Type and Period (3)

  • (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

[Name Centred : SK 40953828] Deer Park [TI]. (1) Locko Park, in the parish of Spondon, is mentioned in a list of deer parks extant early in the 14th C. (2) The 'existing park, called Locko, originally Locklay… is said to be an ancient park, of 260 acres and about 200 fallow-deer.' (3) No trace of a park pale was found. (4) (SK 40953828). Locko was first recorded c.1250 as 'Lokhay(e)'. (5) Formal gardens and arboretum, late C19th landscaped park with lake c.1792 to the design of William Emes. Deer Park, gardens with formal terraces, lawns and gravel paths linked by steps with a clock tower and gazebo separated from the park by a ha-ha. Italian garden planted with roses. Pleasure grounds with shrubs and specimen trees traversed by winding paths. Park (reputedly ancient but not shown on Saxton's survey) with landscaped tree planting. Walled kitchen and nursery garden with central fountain and conservatory c. 1880. (6) Locko Park was added to the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England on April 8 1984. The registered area comprises gardens of the mid 19th century designed by Henry Stevens of Derby and a park laid out to a design by William Emes of 1792 which incorporated elements of a layout which probably originated in the early to mid 18th century. The park has two principal entrances, both with lodges, and is divided from the gardens by a ha-ha. It consists largely of open pasture with scattered trees and clumps. It also includes three narrow ponds on the north-east side of the house and a large expanse of water, The Lake, c. 500m south of the house. The gardens and pleasure grounds include terraces, lawns, formal and informal beds and a walkway flanked by borders that runs along the east side of the kitchen garden to the west side of the house. The kitchen garden is a rectangular enclosure of pale brown brick, and includes the remains of a glasshouse of mid or later 19th century date. (7) Locko Park (as of 1892): owner- William Drury-Lowe, acreage- about 300 acres, fence- principally oak upright palings, water supply- natural, number of fallow deer- 200, average weight of bucks- 115lbs, average weight of does- 65lbs, fine spanish chestnuts, oak, elm and beech, lake- 12 acres, park beautifully undulating. (8)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913-38. 6".
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p clxx.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p 174.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 15-DEC-66.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 606.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Anthony, J. 1979. The Gardens of Britain 6: The East Midlands.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 10: Derbyshire. PG1672.
  • <8> Bibliographic reference: Whitaker, J. 1892. Deer Parks & Paddocks of England.



Grid reference Centred SK 40901 38471 (1525m by 1629m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1102

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 10 2015 2:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.