Building record MDR5520 - St Giles Church, Sandiacre
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Domesday Book records a priest and a church on the manor of Sandiacre. In about 1280 the church was given to a special prebend of Lichfield cathedral, who took his title from this parish as the Prebendary of Sandiacre. The church is dedicated to St Giles, and consists simply of a nave, a large chancel and a tower surmounted by a low spire at the west end. The inner door of the south porch is a fine Norman one. On each side of the nave is a large round-headed Norman window, while the chancel arch is also Norman, of very rich character. The lower part of the masonry of the tower may also be of Norman date, although the tower was largely rebuilt in the 13th century. There is some evidence of the church that was standing when the Domesday Survey was compiled in 1086, for example a window over the chancel arch with 'long and short' work. The chancel is a fine example of Decorated work. Some alterations were made to the church in 1855, including the unfortunately removal of a stone bench that used to run along both sides of the chancel. There was further restoration in 1864. (1) A Norman church with some Decorated and Perpendicular work. Dedicated to St Giles. (2) In normal use. (3) Church of St Giles. Grade I listed building. Parish church. 11th to 15th century. The chancel was erected in c.1342 when the Bishop Norbury of Lichfield held the prebend of Sandiacre. The church was restored in 1855 and again in 1866. (4) The church contains what has been described as 'one of the mot important Romanesque monuments in Derbyshire', of more than local interest. This is a medieval grave slab set in the floor of the chancel. Incised on the slab is a cross with its head composed of a ring of eight round-leaf bracelets around a central straight-armed cross. The cross is flanked by a pair of dragons, from the tails of which acanthus leaves spring; further leaves spring from the top of the cross shaft. This is an unusual and high status monument, probably of late 12th century date. (6)
- --- SDR21322 Unpublished document: Ryder, P. 2011. A Dragon-bearing Medieval Grave Slab at Sandiacre. Unpublished paper.
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p365-77.
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p210-1.
- <3> SDR6337 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 29-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR5185 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 89-90.
- <5> SDR15668 Index: TPAT. 2544. 2544.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4800 3726 (39m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:06PM