Building record MDR5525 - All Saints' Church, Risley
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1593 AD to 1841 AD)
"The present fabric was built by Michael Willoughby and Katharine his wife, in the year 1593, chiefly to serve as a domestic chapel to Risley Hall. Though then erected, it was not consecrated until 1632 ... The chapel or church, which is dedicated to All Saints, consists of a nave, north aisle, chancel, north vestry, and tower at the west end. Over the south doorway are the Willoughby arms, the date 1593, and these initials - W M K". The north aisle and vestry were added in 1841. (1) In determining the origin of All Saints' Church, Risley, two dates have to be reconciled. Above the southern doorway is a coat-of-arms with the initials M, K and W, and the date 1593 whereas a chalice is inscribed "This cupe was given ... at the Consecration of the Chapell ... in the yeare of oure Lord 1632." The general architecture of the church would suggest that it is at least 25 years later than 1593 and it was of a size that would not have required 40 years to complete. The will of Katherine Willoughby in 1593 mentions - "... the chappell ... newly erected by me ..." and includes a bequest "... to finish the Buildinge of the foresayed Chappell and to finishe yt with Bells ...". One of the original bells is dated 1627. [Authy. sums up theories as to different datings and suggests that Katherine's death delayed the building which was re-commenced in the 1620's and completed by 1632. Full description of architecture, history and minor detail given.] (2) The church is in use for public worship. (3) All Saints was built by Michael Willoughby in 1593; see the date about the south doorway, but was consecrated only in 1632. The north aisle is of 1841. The doorway is still four-centred, with a hood-mould. The south windows interestingly are posthumous-Gothic, ie with intersected tracery but round-headed. The west tower is unbuttressed, of two stages only, with round-headed two-light bell-openings, the two lights being lancet-shaped. Internally, the font is alabaster, octagonal, on rectangular openings, with strapwork decoration, while the screen has plain rectangular openings with cherubim on the cross beam. (4)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 409-11.
- <2> SDR13571 Bibliographic reference: Lowther, Revd L C. 1956. Risley Parish Church.
- <3> SDR6491 Personal Observation: F1 WW 09-DEC-59.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 310.
- <5> SDR15669 Index: TPAT. 2545. 2545.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4610 3570 (20m by 12m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||RISLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:07PM