Building record MDR5526 - St Michael's Church, Stanton-by-Dale
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
SK 4648 3813. St Michael's church. (1) The church at Stanton-by-Dale was given at an early date to the adjacent abbey of Dale and was served by the canons until the dissolution of the monasteries. It includes 13th material but appears to have been either rebuilt or considerably restored in c. 1320. The tower is probably late 15th century. In 1872 it was found necessary to thoroughly repair and restore the fabric of the church and at that time the chancel was lengthened by three feet and the north aisle lengthened and widened by about a yard. Much of the outer walls had to be taken down, but every care seems to have been exercised to preserve the old parts of the fabric. Three fragments of incised sepulchral crosses of Norman date prove the existence of an earlier church, with burial rights. (2) In normal use [in 1966]. (3) Church of St Michael and All Saints. Parish church. Early 14th and 15th cent, heavily restored in the 19th cent. Grade II*. (4) St Michael. Chiefly c. 1300, see the chancel windows (with three stepped lancet lights), the north aisle north and west windows, and the three-bay north arcade. The south doorway has a tympanum with a rude cross which may be Norman. The west tower with buttresses covering the angles, battlements, and crocketed pinnacles. Handsome south porch, tunnel-vaulted with thick transverse arches. (5)
- <1> SDR12082 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1956. OS 6", 1956.
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 415-420.
- <3> SDR6038 Personal Observation: F1 F R Harper 29-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR5407 Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Buildings Dist of Erewash Derby 6 Nov 1968 70.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p325.
- <6> SDR15670 Index: TPAT. 2546. 2546.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4648 3814 (27m by 16m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON BY DALE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2017 12:29PM