Latin House (or Cottage) to the east of All Saints' Church (SK 43 NE 13) was built subsequent to the foundation of a school here in 1593. This brick building is dated 1706 on a door pediment and comprises two storeys. It is one of the best buildings of its date in the county. The school buildings at Risley form a group of unusual architectural importance and interest. (1-2)
Latin House. School house, now house. 1706 with minor 19th & 20th cent. alterations. Built for Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall. Grade II*. (3)
Vernacular building dated to 1706 as indicated by datestone, built in a classical design. (4)
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Erewash B Derby Dec 1960 24.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p310.
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 78.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4613 3567 (10m by 16m) (Centre)
RISLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.