In 1724 a Latin and girls' school was built to the east of Latin House, Risley. In 1758 an identical English school for boys was built further east. The Latin House seems then to have become the house of the Latin master and his boarders. The school buildings at Risley form a group of unusual architectural importance and interest. (1-3)
Latin College and the Latin Cottage (formerly listed as "Latin School, Latin College'. School, now schoolroom and cottage. c1720 endowed by Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall in her will of 1720. This school was built as pair to the grammar school and both buildings appear on a 1722 map housed in the Derby County Record Office, although the Derby VCH stated that this school was built in 1724 and the other in 1758. Grade II*. (4)
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Erewash B Derby Dec 1960 25.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p310.
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 80.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4616 3569 (17m by 15m) (Centre)
RISLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.