In 1758 an English school for boys was built to the east of the Latin School [SMR 24808]. The Grammar School is the only one of the Risley school buildings still in scholastic use. The school buildings at Risley form a group of unusual architectural importance and interest. (1, 2)
The Grammar School (formerly listed as Lower Grammar School) is of c.1720, having been endowed by Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall in her will of 1720. This building forms a pair to the Latin College which stands the other side of the School House. The Derby Victoria County History states that this school was built in 1758 but the building appears on a map of 1722 which is housed in the Derby County Records Office. Grade II. (3)
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Erewash B Derby Dec 1960 25.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p310.
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Erewash Derby 1 May 1986 82.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4619 3570 (17m by 11m) (Centre)
RISLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.