A single-storey former lace factory on the south side of Derby Road, built in the late 19th century and consisting of three main buildings. The one adjoining Derby Road has a north light type roof, the other two at the rear have pitched roofs. All are brick-built with slate roofs and have cast iron window frames in segmental arched openings. At the west end is a pair of two-storey cottages and a two storey building with adjoining engine and boiler rooms but no machinery or chimney. Now, with recent ugly additions, in multiple occupation as the Derby Road Industrial Estate. (1)
This factory, which consists of three buildings, parallel to each other and the road, was occupied by curtain lace and plain net makers. The curtain lace maker, J B Walker, was probably the first, and last, lace occupant, moving machines from Lenton in about 1888. Over the years a number of other curtain lace makers also had machines in this factory. Prior to 1890 the plain net tenant was Pratt, Hurst. Their plain net plant was later owned by the Melbourne Lace Company and then by Black's who eventually moved the machines to another of their factories. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 37.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 305.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 47666 36331 (115m by 112m)
SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.