A cast iron pump made by the Coalbrookedale Company, presented as a gift by the women of Stanton to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. (1)
A grade II listed village pump that was constructed in 1897 by the Coalbrookdale Company. It is made of cast iron. It is a square pier consisting of a base with moulding, panelled sides with an egg and dart motif, a moulded cornice, and an ogee pyramidal top with finial. The water outlet is to the south and there is a plinth for standing the receptacle on. There is a corbel and drinking fountain to the west. A plaque on the west side is inscribed: ERECTED/IN/LOYAL/ COMMEMORATION/OF/THE/BENEFICENT/REIGN/OF/QUEEN VICTORIA/ JUNE/22nd 1897/THE GIFT OF THE/WOMEN OF STANTON. (2)
Village pump at Stanton-by-Dale installed to commemorate the 60th year of Queen Victoria's reign. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 41.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Origianl UID: 352304.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 6/167, with photo.
Unpublished document: Derbyshire County Council. 1977. Derbyshire Treasures, No. 2, Wells, Springs and Water Supplies.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 465 380 (point) (Centre)
STANTON BY DALE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2017 12:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.