Monument record MDR5560 - Inhumation cemetery (site of), Borrowash, Ockbrook

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

About eighty inhumations and a quantity of burnt bones were found about two feet down when excavating through an elevated piece of ground near Borrowash, for the Midland Counties Railway, a few hundred yards from the River Derwent. There were no surface indications. Nine of the skeletons lay east-west and one was in a crude vault covered with stones. A flint arrowhead was found inside one of the skulls. Underneath one skeleton was a twin ridged Beaker battle axe, found in 1841. At a later period a box containing amulets, a blue bead and an Anglo-Saxon ornament was found. In another part of the ground a small vase containing bird bones and a coin of Constantine was found. Burnt animal bones were found in abundance. Briggs suggested the name Borrowash referred to a barrow here but E.P.N.S. derives the first element from 'burh'. (1-5) At Borrowash the canal had to be diverted to make way for the railway, and it was during this work in 1838 that the discoveries were made. (6) The Midland Railway, Derby to Nottingham, was built in 1838 and opened in 1839. No further work was done for 37 years and reports of finds after that date are wrongly dated. (7) The original plans of this cutting show it in an area SK 41403430. The elevated ground referred to by Briggs was probably at SK 41453429. The axe hammer is in Western Park Museum, Sheffield, Acc. J. 93-8 (G.36), as is the Anglo Saxon ornament and a contemporary bronze ring and fragments of another - Acc. J.93-716 (H.186). The Museum's Director had no knowledge of other finds from this site. (8) SK 4134 Borrowash. The perforated stone battle-axe (Db. 123) 'found with unburnt burial' (9) is of dolerite (10) and is of Neolithic date (11). Borrowash Anglo-Saxon inhumation cemetery. Listed in surveys. (12-13)

Sources/Archives (12)

  • <1> Article in serial: Briggs. J.B.A.A. 7,1852,.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Vestiges of the Ants. of Derby, 1848,7. (T. Bateman).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Evans, J. 1897. Ancient Stone Implements of Great Britain. p196.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Catalogue of Bateman Collection 1899,226. (Sheffield Museum).
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: The Midland Railway , pp 26,397. (F.S. Williams).
  • <7> Personal Observation: F1 FDC 12-JAN-60.
  • <8> Personal Observation: F2 FDC 12-JAN-60.
  • <9> Article in serial: Allen, J R. 1903. Archaeologia Cambrensis 1903. Volume 3. p233.
  • <10> Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78. p71.
  • <11> Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Comm Gaz c 1980 3.
  • <12> Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p80.
  • <13> Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Comm Gaz c 1980 12.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4150 3430 (239m by 199m) (Centre)
Civil Parish OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1026

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 7 2020 2:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.