Building record MDR5561 - St Bartholomew's Church, Elvaston Castle, Elvaston
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building (I)
- Registered Park or Garden (II*) 1368: Elvaston Castle
SK 4070 3296. St Bartholomew's Church [TU]. (1) "The church, which is dedicated to S. Bartholomew, consists of nave, south aisle and porch, chancel, and lofty western tower...Of the church that was standing here at the time of the Domesday Survey there are now no apparent remains. The earliest work of the present fabric is of the Early English period of the commencement of the thirteenth century.. To the Decorated date, circa 1300, pertain the two three-light windows .. In the south wall of the aisle; the chancel arch; and the arcade .. Between the nave and the aisle. The south porch seems also to belong to this period.. The church underwent extensive repairs, and a general restoration towards the end of the fifteenth century.." (2) The church is in use for public worship. (3) No change. (4) Church of St Bartholomew, Parish church, 13th, 14th and 15th century, with money provided by Lord Mountjoy of Elvaston for the completion of the church in 1474, also with early 18th century addition and chancel restored and extended by Bodley in 1904. Grade I. (5) Located in the grounds of Elvaston Castle. Perpendicular west tower. South aisle 13th century, chancel extended in 1905. Extensive alteration documented in circa 1474. Domesday Book records, a church and priest in the manor of Elvaston, Ambaston and Thurlston. (7, 8) Chancel screen dates from the 15th century. (11) The bells and bell frames of St Bartholomew's are of historical significance. A bell dating from 1595 is an example of the work of H II Oldfield and a bell from on another bell dates from 1564. (12)
- <1> SDR12068 Map: 1923. OS 6".
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p198-9.
- <3> SDR6477 Personal Observation: F1 WW 02-MAY-60.
- <4> SDR6621 Personal Observation: F2 JB 29-OCT-66.
- <5> SDR5198 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of South Derbys 11 Mar 1987 23-24.
- <6> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p209-10.
- <7> SDR15667 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2543. 2543.
- <8> SDR15593 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2368. 2368.
- <9> SDR1073 Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record (English Heritage). Aerial photograph NMR 4033/1.
- <10> SDR8071 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. Domesday of Derbyshire.
- <11> SDR23393 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Elvaston 15th century chancel screen.
- <12> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4070 3297 (36m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:17PM