Building record MDR5562 - Church of St Chad, Wilne
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
[SK 4488 3184] St Chad's Church [TU] (1) 'Wilne… The church is dedicated to S.Chad … who died in 672, and Wilne had a church which had gained parochial rights as early as 822. The church consists of nave, south aisle, chapel, chancel, and tower at the west end… The church was evidently rebuilt in the Decorated period of the fourteenth century… The lower stages of the tower are Early English in style, and of the thirteenth century; But the upper part is of Decorated date… In the Perpendicular period of the fifteenth century, the nave walls were raised, and five small.. Clerestory windows inserted over the south aisle, and four others over the pointed windows on the north of the nave. The east window of the chancel.. Is also of this date.. The south aisle was prolonged towards the east in 1622, so as to form a memorial chapel to Sir John Willoughby…..' (2) 'The bowl of the font in Wilne church is made from part of a circular tapering pillar… the carving is wrong-side up. It was broken into several pieces in the disastrous fire in March 1917.. Although the fragments have been carefully pieced together… The bowl is 23 in. high and 82 in. in girth at the top, tapering to 77 in… Late and decadent Anglian'. (3) Church of St Chad, at Wilne, re-dedicated August 26th 1923, 'after standing as a roofless ruin for over six years. There are in the present building only slight traces of work earlier than the 13th century, but there is no doubt that there was a Church of Stone in the Norman period. When excavating for the new boiler house stones of Norman workmanship.. Were found. It seems likely that the west wall of the nave and half of that of the Aisle … are remains of the Norman Church. Excepting for some work in the Chancel… this arcade [under the Clerestory] and the window [to the west of the Porch..] are the only new stonework introduced during the recent repairs… [Refers to Auth 3 as having shown that the font is formed from the lower part of a pre-Norman cross-shaft.] (4) In normal use. (5) Church of St Chad, Parish church. Early 13th century, early and late 14th century, 15th century, chapel added c.1622 and sympathetically restored 1917-23 by Currey and Thompson, after a fire in 1917. Grade I. (6)
- <1> SDR12047 Map: 1912-38.
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p399-403.
- <3> SDR19300 Article in serial: Browne, G. 1885. 'On a supposed inscription upon the font at Wilne', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 7, pp 185-194, illust..
- <4> SDR7843 Article in serial: Currey, P. 1924. 'The recent restoration of Wilne Church', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 46, pp 56-77.
- <5> SDR6399 Personal Observation: F1 JB 28-OCT-66.
- <6> SDR5180 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 13-14.
- <7> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p354-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4488 3184 (35m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2015 9:34AM