Monument record MDR557 - Chinley Head, Quarry
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 050 844: Chinley Head, Quarry: Quarry worked for the production of dressed building stone at Chinley head. (1) Chinley Head Quarry was included in a report into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. Quite extensive quarry but completely overgrown and forested. Impossible to describe in detail but some flaggy material lying around. Near the top of the upper leaf of the Kinderscout Grit. (3) There is a group of three quarries situated round Chinley Head and the Lamb Inn on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (4) Modern maps show the quarries as disused. (5)
- <1> SDR14446 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 0721.. 0721.
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p199.
- <3> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 108, Quarry Number Q89.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 050 843 (199m by 297m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2015 8:53AM