Building record MDR5574 - St Mary's Church, Victoria Road, Draycott
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Methodists have a large handsome chapel at Draycott, built in 1830, at a cost of £700, to seat 300 persons. The former chapel was built in 1800 [see SMR 19331]. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road, Draycott. (2) The chapel was in use throughout the 20th century. (3-4) The Wesleyans built their first chapel in 1800. The present  edifice was erected in 1830. (5) The date tablet is obscured, 18(?3)0. Now an Anglican church . (6) A methodist chapel, built in 1830. It is built of red brick, the front elevation painted, beneath a low pitched roof. The front elevation is two storeys in height, with sash windows. There is a large modern porch. The chapel appears in Pevsner's Buildings of England and Stell's Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses. (7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 324.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 1, 1901.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 605.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 47.
- <7> SDR21473 *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/193.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 444 331 (19m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2013 11:13AM