Monument record MDR5575 - Former Wesleyan chapel, Chapel Row, Borrowash, Ockbrook
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1825 AD to 1825 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is a handsome brick building that was erected in 1825. It will seat about 450 people. There is a large school room attached. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel at Borrowash that was built in 1825. (3) By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, another chapel has been built across the road (SMR 23859), and both are labelled as 'Chapels'. By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century, this chapel appears to have been superseded by the one across the road and is no longer in use as a place of worship. (4-5) The former Wesleyan chapel, Borrowash, is a tall building of square plan constructed of brick and slate. It has a pedimented front of three bays with two tiers of round arched windows. The recessed centre bay rises to a semi-circular arch enclosing a defaced tablet dated 1825. It was superseded in c. 1902, and is now in commercial use . (6) The former chapel still appears to be extant, but is part of a larger works building . (7-8) A Methodist Chapel, built in 1826. Converted to a Sunday School in 1900. It is built of red brick beneath a shallow pitched roof. The front elevation is of two storeys, separated by sill bands and topped by a pediment. There is a full height arched recess, containing a datestone in the form of a classical sarcophagus. (9)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 302.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 571.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 54.
- <7> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <8> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 05/08/2011.
- <9> SDR21473 *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/298.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 417 345 (20m by 22m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 10:42AM