Skip to main content

Monument record MDR5576 - Tramway (route of), Dale Abbey

Type and Period (3)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 434388 Dale, Tramway. The trackbed of the 16½ inch gauge tramway originally ran only from the sand quarry [SMR 18706] to the No 2 colliery [SMR 18710]. At the western end a road underpass (now blocked) and a tunnel hewn through a ridge of Arbour Hill marks the entrance to the second phase of quarrying, the first phase lying northwards on the west side of the road. In its later years the western end of the tramway was diverted to reach the southern end of the quarry along the cartway lying west of the Carpenter's Arms and over a level crossing in the main street of the village. The tramway, which had a lifespan similar to that of the sand quarry, was presumably extended along the trackbed of the once separate system from No 2 colliery to the end of the standard gauge line midway between the two collieries. Here, where the extensive brick and stone loading ramp, extended and raised on at least two separate occasions, still survives, the trams were discharged on either side into railway trucks at the lower level. To the south of this ramp are the wooded remains of a claypit. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. pp 7-8.



Grid reference Centred SK 438 392 (1093m by 441m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 18 2015 3:50PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.