Monument record MDR5587 - Wilne Mills, Church Wilne
Type and Period (5)
- CORN MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FULLING MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROLLING MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COTTON MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 447315 Wilne Mills. This ancient water-power site was used at various times for lead rolling, fulling and corn grinding and cotton spinning. A two storey cotton mill (see SMR 19313) stands on the site of an 18th century cotton mill which was destroyed in a fire of 1917. The cotton which was spun and doubled in this mill was much used by the local lace and hosiery trade. The spinners were Tallard & Co. in 1857 and from at least 1895 Marcus Astle who continued until after 1945. (1) Two storey cotton mill with slate roof and north lights was built on the site of the 18th century cotton mill in 1924. More recently, the premises have been occupied by PW Defence, manufacturers of pyrotechnics. (2) Single meandering channel preserves an extensive cover of alluvium bifurcating around the mill complex. The complex sits on a floodplain which spans the Derwent Valley, an area with the potential for investigating the impact of runoff from the Peak District upon fluvial sedimentation processes and channel development. The alluvium deposit on the floodplain averages a 2m think, uniform cover, though no convincing palaeochannels have been noted during borehole surveying. (3)
- <1> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 11.
- <2> SDR22141 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 13.
- <3> SDR22497 Unpublished document: Knight, D & Howard, A (TPAT). 1994. Archaeology and Alluvium in the Trent Valley, an Archaeological Assessment of the Floodplain and Gravel Terraces.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 447 315 (113m by 138m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2015 9:33AM