SK 420341 Borrowash, Shacklecross Mill. A two and three-storey brick and concrete early 20th century cotton mill, with tower and chimney. Built for John Towle & Co. when they moved from Borrowash Mill (SMR 23803) but used by General Industrial Cleaners from the late 1930s to the present. The history of the site is commemorated in the names of two roads of modern housing nearby: Towle Close and Mill Close. (1)
Named as 'Borrowash Mill (Cotton Doubling) on the OS map of 1914. (2) Now (2003) demolished and the site redeveloped for housing.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 36.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet LV.4, 1914.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 420 341 (104m by 140m) (Approximate)
OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 10:39AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.