St James' Church is a fine stone edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower that contains six bells. (1)
A grade II listed parish church dating to 1838. It was built by public subscription, and designed by Stevens of Derby. It is built of ashlar, and has shallow-pitched leaded roofs, hidden behind flush parapets, with ridgeback copings over a coved eaves cornice. It has a wide four-bay nave with a western tower and lower short chancel. Inside, there is a wide continuous moulded chancel arch, and a panelled gallery to the rear of the church that is supported on clustered iron columns. The boarded timber king post roof is dated 1901 by a brass plaque in the gallery. The tower has a plain stone staircase up to the vestry and the gallery. The original box pews to the nave have pointed bench ends with blind Y-tracery panels. The high standing octagonal wooden pulpit, also original, has an iron balustrade with a wreathed handrail to the staircase at the side and an ogee headed octagonal tester above. See list description for more details. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 807.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 83166.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 43793 30324 (30m by 12m)
SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.