Monument record MDR5609 - Cropmarks north of Shardlow
Type and Period (5)
- PIT ALIGNMENT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Number of features including a pit alignment and a series of small enclosures have been identified on aerial photographs. (1-4) Cropmarks plotted on map overlay, 1:10,000. (5) Numerous cropmarks were identified in this area during an aerial photographic mapping survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project. These cropmarks are late prehistoric/Roman in date and include square, rectangular and curvilinear enclosures, field boundaries, and a pit alignment. Medieval ridge and furrow earthworks and cropmarks were also identified. The NMR reference for the aerial photograph used is: RAF/106G/UK/581 4114 02-AUG-1945. (6)
- <1> SDR15595 Index: TPAT. 2370. 2370.
- <2> SDR15596 Index: TPAT. 2371. 2371.
- <3> SDR15510 Index: TPAT. 2126. 2126.
- <4> SDR13054 Aerial Photograph: Pickering J. 1970. 4330/8 12-14 20 22 25 67/12/13 67/14/19 28A/236.
- <5> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <6> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||SK 43414 30790 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:23PM