Building record MDR5635 - Church of St Michael, Breaston
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
The church at Breaston, which is dedicated to St Michael, consists of a nave, south aisle, chancel, and tower surmounted by a spire at the west end. The oldest part of the fabric is of Early English character. The blocked up south doorway dates to about the time of John, during the transition from Norman to Early English. The tower is of Early English style but late, about the end of Henry III's reign. The church was extensively rebuilt in the Decorated period, circa 1350. In the Perpendicular period of the fifteenth century, the roofs were lowered and the walls raised.' The church was restored in 1840 and 1871. (1) There were originally two piscinas in Breaston church, one near the high altar and the other 'in a remarkable position' halfway down the chancel. The latter was demolished in the late 19th century to insert what was described as a 'tame, commonplace sort of door into the wretched vestry'. (3) A large buttress on the north side of the church was added in 1680. An 18th century round-headed doorway inserted in the west of the tower was subsequently blocked. In 1840 repairs were made and the west gallery was erected. In 1871 the gallery was removed, the north doorway renewed and the blocked tower arch was opened up. In 1898-9 the church was generally restored. (4) The church is in use for public worship. (5) The Church of St Michael is a Grade I listed building of the 11th, 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries, restored and with a new vestry added in 1895 by Evans and Jolly. (6) One bell in the tower is of historical significance as it is by J de Stafford of Leicester and is 14th century. (9)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p406-7.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p509.
- <3> SDR15275 Article in serial: 1890. 'Quarterly Notes', The Reliquary. Volume 4 (NS), p 249.
- <4> SDR13682 Bibliographic reference: Church of England. 1929. Derby Diocesan Magazine, 1929.
- <5> SDR6474 Personal Observation: F1 WW 01-JAN-60.
- <6> SDR5181 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 2-3.
- <7> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p108-9.
- <8> SDR15665 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2541. 2541.
- <9> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4600 3350 (31m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BREASTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2015 9:07AM