SK 483310. In line with No. 2, Clap gate, on the north bank of the Trent, is a site known as 'Billy Stones' at one fathom [c. 1.8m]. It is possibly a ford - a ford was certainly extant in 1797. Roman pottery is reported to have been found in the river bank nearby in 1956. (1) Number 2 Clapgate is situated at SK 48523115. No trace of a river crossing or associated road were seen. No further information regarding the pottery. (2)
Article in serial: 1961. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 5. p 5.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 23-DEC-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 483 310 (141m by 127m) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2011 11:35AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.