A three-storey brick built lace factory with a datestone of 1857 on its gable. It was the first lace making premises in Long Eaton. (1)
J and H Lacey Warehouse. Lace factory, now a shop warehouse. 1857 with later additions. Grade II. (2)
High Street Mills. A three storey brick-built lace factory, the older part having been constructed in 1857 for the Smith Bros, lace manufacturers (datestone on south gable). The original pitched slated roof has now been replaced with concrete tiles. The northern end is later, perhaps 1870s. The original chimney is reduced to a plinth at eaves level on the south-west corner. Many original cast iron semicircular headed window frames remain on what is now the oldest remaining lace factory in Long Eaton. The factory is now occupied by J & H Lacey Ltd, Ironmongers. (3)
High Street Mills, Brown Road, is a brick built factory in two halves, the southern half being older than the northern and having a lower roof line. The whole structure is three storey with a pitched slate roof and gable ends. The north end of the building is wider than the original, and has a round ended turret at the north end. At the north end of the older building is a square stair turret on the east side, and on the opposite corner is the stump of an octagonal chimney stack, taken down to within 6 ft of the eaves level plinth. In the south gable is a datestone, AD 1857. The cast iron round headed window frames are shorter in the older part. The factory has been used for many purposes. (4)
High Street Mill was built in 1857 for the brothers Samuel and Thomas Smith. Descended from a family of Long Eaton farmers, Samuel was established as a fancy net maker in Long Eaton before 1846. In 1861 they had ten machines worked by 15 men and two boys, making fancy lace and plain net. The Smiths occupied the High Street factory until the end of the 1890s, but by 1899 it was no longer marked as a lace factory. (5)
The factory now froms part of a 1989 retail development on High Street. (6)
Bibliographic reference: CBA Panel on Indust Mons 1975 12.
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 23.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 31.
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. textil mill, Long Eaton.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 287.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p 30.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 49286 33536 (29m by 34m) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.