SK 484344 Highfield Mills. A single-storey shed type lace factory of 1903 with later additions to the east and west. Built by the Crowe family of lace manufacturers who continued in occupation until after the Second World War. Originally powered by a 60 HP gas engine. Now [in1986] occupied by Wade Upholstery. (1)
This single-storey factory, nicknamed 'The Rokkery Nook' was planned in 1903 for the Levers lace maker, A Crowe. Between 1912 and 1925 four Crowe firms had machines in this factory, which remained in the ownership of the family into the 1950s. In 1959 it was used by three lace firms and an insulating material manufacturer. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 25.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp 275-277.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 483 344 (127m by 84m) (Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2017 11:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.