SK 485346 Bennett Street, Belton Mills. A lace factory of 1910 which is brick built, single storey and has segmental headed cast iron window frames. There are five bays of north light roofs at the northern end and three at the southern end which are roofed in asbestos cement sheeting. A circular chimney remains at the northern end. Originally powered by electricity. Now occupied by processors of upholstery foam. (1) [The site as shown on Fowkes' map, p 27, is on the corner of Canal Street and Bennett Street, which indicates that this entry refers to Canal Street Mill]
Canal Street Mill. This single-storey tenement factory with 24 standings was built for the machine builders Collins & Marriott in 1909. Walter Collins and Fred Marriott were partners in The Long Eaton Machine Building Company which they had founded in 1905. The Company went out of business in the 1920s and this mill was occupied by Elson & Robbins and Everest Upholstery. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 278.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 485 345 (57m by 62m) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2017 11:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.