SK 487 344 Bennett Street, Brittania Mills. This tenement lace factory of 1906 is a large single storey north light roofed building in orange/red brickwork having decorated roundels to the Bennett Street frontage and with its name picked out in white glazed bricks. Built for William Wallis & Sons Ltd. Now part of the premises of Messrs. Elson & Robbins, manufacturers of springing for the upholstery industry . (1)
The original single-storey building of this complex, now almost joining Cavendish Mills, was planned in 1907 by a factory company of which the lace maker, William Wallis & Sons, was the main shareholder. William Wallis, born in 1838, had extensive lace interests before building this mill. The firm never completely occupied the whole of Britannia Mill, therefore other tenants shared the premises. By 1929 the majority of the mill was occupied by an artificial silk manufacturers and by 1936 was no longer used for lace. (2)
Now vacant . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 26.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp 278-279.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p 26.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 487 344 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2017 11:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.