SK 488338 Leopold Street, West End Mills. A brick-built four storey tenement lace factory, 350ft long, built by the side of the Erewash Canal in 1882 by West End Mill Company Ltd. Two lace manufacturers, Robert Fletcher and Terah Hooley with Titus Astle, cotton spinner, promoted the company. There were 24 lace manufacturers in occupation by 1886. Four staircase turrets on the canal side of the factory are cant cornered with hipped roofs. The main roof is now of concrete tiles and the rectangular window frames are cast iron. Now in multiple industrial use including Furnwood, upholstery manufacturer. (1)
The West End Mill Company was formed in 1882 to build this multi-storey factory of 172 standings. One of the original, and largest, shareholders was Robert Fletcher, who later moved to Victoria Mill, Draycott. At one time the Hooleys, Terah and Ernest Terah, also owned 21 shares. From the 1920s Jardine's increasingly used the standings for machine storage. Only two of the pre-1900 tenants survived until the end of the 1950s. (2)
A tenement lace factory, built in 1882. Designed by John William Keating for the West End Mill Company. It is built of red brick beneath a hipped concrete tile roof. The elevation to Leopold Street is four storeys tall. It is arranged in four sections with the windows arranged 12:10:10:10. The windows are cast iron casements. The elevation to the canal features polygonal stair turrets. The factory appears in Nixon's Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire and Palmer's Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands. (3)
Now occupied by Mayfair Upholstery, Rise & Recline, Kaya Upholstery and West End Furniture Gallery. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. pp 27-28.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 282.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/94.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 27.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 488 338 (100m by 100m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.