SK 488335 Milner Road Lace Factories. Originally three separate lace factories pf 1905, 1906, and 1909, now combined. (1)
Three factories were built along Milner Road in the first decade of the 20th century. Alexandra Mills was the most northerly, a single-storey factory built in 1905 for a single lace maker. It was extended in 1908 and was used for lace making until the beginning of the 1930s. Edward Mills was the central building, a single-storey factory built in 1909 for a single lace maker. It was used as a lace factory until about 1925 when it was purchased by a hosiery manufacturer. Victoria Mills was the southernmost building, a single-storey tenement factory built in 1906. It was occupied by two lace makers until about 1912 and then by a single firm who were still working four machines in 1956. (2)
By 1986, all of the above factories had been taken over by a single hosiery manufacturer. This manufacturer went bankrupt, however, and the buildings returned to multiple use. (3)
Alexandra Mills was a lace factory, built in 1905 for Thomas Brecknock. It is built of red brick beneath a natural slate roof. The front elevation is single storey. To the left is an entrance door and casement window beneath a parapet. To the right are five similar windows beneath two assymetrical gables. Edward Mills was a lace factory, built in 1909 for William Morris. Occupied from 1928 by the hosiery manufacturers Cox Moore & Co. It is built of red brick beneath a slate roof. The roadside elevation is single storey. It features four cross casement windows, beneath two gables that echo the shape of the north light roofs behind. Victoria Mill was a lace factory, built in 1906 for Mr Foster. It is of red brick. The roadside elevation features four cross casement windows and a loading door, beneath two assymetrical gables. All three factories appear in Palmer's Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands. (4, 5)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2002. Extensive Urban Survey: Long Eaton. Archaeological Assessment Report.. p 22, Component 52.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/106, LL/107 and LL/108.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 28.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 488 335 (47m by 78m) (Multiple Site Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.