Monument record MDR5689 - Oxford Mills (site of), Oxford Street/Fletcher Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
(Edwardian to Mid 20th Century - 1908 AD to 1950 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 489 338 Oxford Street, Oxford Mills. Brick single-storey lace factory of 1908, built for Frederick Mansfield, with later extensions in Fletcher St., and Regent Street. (1)
The large single-storey factory fronting Oxford Street and the narrow two-storey offices and store room fronting Fletcher Street were built in 1908 for the Levers lace maker Frederick Mansfield. He occupied this mill until 1938, after which his levers machines were bought by Byard Manufacturing and had most bars removed for hair net making. Sandwiched between Oxford Mill and Willatt's Factory (SMR 22525) is New Mill, built in 1912 and occupied to the 1950s by the eight Levers machines of Joseph Allen. (2)
An archaeological building survey was carried out in early 2006 prior to demolition. This indicated that the site was originally two separate lace factories, the Oxford Street Works of Frederick Mansfield to the north of the site and New Mills of James Allen to the south. The factories were built in 1908 and 1912 respectively. Both factories are single storey buildings of red brick with north light roofs; there is a two-storied range on both factories fronting Fletcher Street to the west. This is a mono-pitched roof and was originally used for offices and workshops. The Oxford Street Works was used for lace manufacture until 1938, while New Mills continued until the 1950s. It originally contained eight machines and the architect's plans do not show a boiler room, suggesting that steam was piped in from an adjacent factory, possibly the Oxford Street Works. With the exception of the partial demolition of the Oxford Street Works, the factories had remained largely unaltered and represented a good example of the later single storey lace factories which replaced the multi-storey tenement factories within Long Eaton in the early 20th century. (3)
Following a particularly unsympathetic partial demolition, now occupied by a motor component supplier . (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 283.
Unpublished document: Richards, G (ULAS). 2006. An Archaeological Standing Building Survey of the Former Lace Factory, Oxford Street/Regent Street, Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 29.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 489 337 (95m by 55m) (Multiple Site Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.