Early 20th century brick-built lace factory with cast iron window frames and a circular chimney on a square base. (1)
SK 488339 Derby Road, Bridge Mills. This prominent three-storey brick-built tenement lace factory on the west bank of the Erewash Canal was built in 1902 by F Perks & Son for Long Eaton Bridge Mills Co. Ltd. At the south end is an engine and boiler house with a 110ft high circular brick chimney having a large bulbous cast iron cap. Semi-circular ended staircase turrets project into the factory yard and the centre one is extended upwards to carry a large cast iron water cistern for the sprinkler system. To the west, over the yard, is a single storey building with north light roof and an office block of the same date. The factory was originally steam powered by a 170 HP engine driving line shafting to both buildings. Now in multiple occupation including textile manufacturers. (2)
A single and three storey block lace factory, built in brick. Cast iron window frames, boiler and engine house - no engine at the south end of the site by the canal bridge. A tall, circular chimney on a square base, there appears to be the remains of a canal wharf by the factory sidings. Three stairway turrets with semi-circular ends in plan. The centre turret is extended above the roof line, and carries a large cast iron water tank - rectangular in shape - with the manufacturers name 'MATHER AND PLATT - MANCHESTER'. A single storey stone building is across a yard to the west and has an office block facing Derby Road on the south side of the main factory, a metal plate has the painted name 'BRIDGE MILLS'. (3)
Bridge Mills was the last of the multi-storey tenement factories to be built. It opened in 1902 parallel to the Erewash Canal with 87 standings on three floors and a fourth floor used for mending rooms, offices and storage. A single-storey building of 28 standings was later erected in the factory yard. In 1925 there were 10 lace makers and 2 other lace tenants. By 1959 there were only three lace makers. (4)
A tenement lace factory, built in 1902. Designed by John Sheldon for the Bridge Mill Company. It is built of red brick beneath a slate roof. The elevation to the canal is three storeys tall. It is arranged in three sections with the windows arranged 9:10:10. The windows are cast iron casements. The elevation to the yard features semicircular stair turrets. The factory appears in Pevsner's Buildings of England, Smith's Industrial Archaeology of the East Midlands and Palmer's Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands. (5)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).2, with photos.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 30.
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Bridge Mills, Derby Road.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 280.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/98.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 488 339 (58m by 143m) (Multiple Site Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2017 11:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.