Monument record MDR5694 - Stanley Mills (site of), Stanley Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
(Edwardian to Early 20th Century - 1904 AD to 1930 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Stanley Mills on Stanley Street is a single-storey brick-built shed type lace factory having a two storey office block to Stanley Street. Built in 1904 (datestone in gable) for Samuel Cursley, lace manufacturer. Since the demise of Cursley's business in the early 1920s the factory has had a variety of textile users but is now  only partly occupied for storage. (1)
Samuel Cursley had started making lace in Austin's Factory in 1898, then joined with four others to start Oaklea Mill, where he worked machines until he built Stanley Mill in 1903. His business closed in the 1920s and the mill was then occupied by a cotton doublers. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 30.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 288.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 491 333 (63m by 131m) (Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.