Monument record MDR5695 - Austin's Factory (site of), New Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (2)
- CHIMNEY (Victorian to Unknown - 1884 AD)
- LACE FACTORY (Victorian to Unknown - 1884 AD)
- None recorded
New Street Factory was built in 1887 abutting Old No 2 Mill (demolished 1960), of brick with a slate roof. Cast iron, arched top, with window frames. One of the original two stairways has been removed and measured approximately 40 x 150 ft. A tall chimney stack remains in situ. (1, 2) SK 492 336 New Street, Austin's Factory. Five-storey tenement lace factory of 1884, with staircase turrets, tall circular brick chimney. C20 additions. (3) The Austins were a widespread family of lace makers, for Austins were, by 1841, working in the lace trade in Long Eaton, Sawley, and in Europe. By 1851 John Austin employed six men in a workshop in Long Eaton in Austin's Yard and a year later built there a four-storey tenement factory. In 1861 this tenement factory, 30 feet wide, contained about 50 lace machines, including five of John Austin's brother, Joseph. This 'Old' factory continued to be used by the lace trade into the 1920s, but by 1923 the building was occupied by the elastic web manufacturers, Jones Stroud. Austin's 'New' Factory, 40 feet wide, was built in 1882 at right angles to the 'Old' factory and was also used for lace making into the 1920s. By 1908 the standings were being sub-let by the Long Eaton Machine Building Company. By 1929 this building was also occupied by Jones Stroud and the only part of the Austin complex still used for lace making was the 50 feet by 72 feet building in the factory yard; this latter had no lace tenants by the 1930s. (4)
- <1> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Austins Factory.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).3, with photos.
- <3> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
- <4> SDR18854 Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 49228 33619 (86m by 62m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM