Acton Mills is a single-storey brick-built lace factory of 1907, with four bays of north light roofs. There are circular windows in the gable ends and a small square chimney stack at the north-west corner. Built originally for R Ironmonger & Sons, lace manufacturers, it is now [in 1986] occupied by Pressac, electronic component manufacturers. (1)
Richard Ironmonger was working machines in Orchard's New Mill by 1891. In 1906, when he constructed Acton Mill, he had standings in Oaklea Mill, and a tom Ironmonger was in New Tythe Street. In June 1921 Ironmonger's plant was bought by Rivlin, but the original name was retained and between 1948 and the early 1950s the firm worked eight Levers machines. (2)
Now occupied by Semloh Electronics . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 31.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 290.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). pp. 30-31.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 494 330 (31m by 39m) (Multiple Site Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.