SK 495 338 Nottingham Road, Albion Mills. A single storey brick-built lace factory of 1907 having a pitched slated roof parallel to the south side of Nottingham Road. Built for Henry Houghton & Sons, lace manufacturers, but now (in c. 1986) occupied by Camp, corsetry manufacturers. (1)
A single storey factory of 27 standings designed by J F Dodd for Henry Drury Houghton. In 1907 Henry and his two sons built this mill for their plant of Levers, plain net and embroidery machines, the only firm with this combination of machinery. By 1929 only half Albion Mill was being used by Houghton's, the front portion being occupied by an off-set printers. On Henry's death in 1939, Houghton's closed and the plain net makers, Small & Tidmas, took over the factory. By 1959 all the lace mahcines had been dispersed. (2)
Now occupied by TQ Education . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 33.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 285.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 32.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 494 338 (100m by 100m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:48PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.