Skip to main content

Monument record MDR5712 - Former lace workshop, New Tythe Street, Long Eaton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 496 334 New Tythe Street, Workshop. A two-storey brick building with a slate roof built in the 1870s along with the yard at the rear which contained Hill's Cottages, all owned by William Hill. The workshop was once used by Jonathan Flint as a carriage and bobbin works for the lace industry. It has had many occupants since and is currently used by Cristo Films. (1) Former lace workshop in New Tythe Street, one of a number which preceeded the building of the first factories here. Two storeys. Photo with National Building Record. (2) This two-storey building, about 18 feet by about 34 feet, possibly dating from the 1840s, was at one time used as a lace factory, with two hand frames on each floor. By 1908 the building contained a machinist. (3) Now occupied by D & C Cleaning Services. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 33.
  • <2> Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. lace workshop, Long Eaton.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 289.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 32.



Grid reference Centred SK 49595 33380 (12m by 13m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 5 2017 4:48PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.